Baking a traditional gingerbread shouldn’t just be a holiday activity, and with this recipe, it can be a year-round event. In case you are wondering, it doesn’t take more than a few ingredients and just a few steps.
This Traditional Gingerbread Is A Family Favorite Year-Round
Let’s get baking!
At the core of any gingerbread are molasses and ginger, as these two give the caramel-like color and the spice it is known for. You can use other ingredients that you already have though, like brown sugar, granulated sugar, or maple syrup.
Ginger is essential, but you can add mashed ginger or fresh ginger, and even melt some ginger candy and use that instead. If you can’t find any ginger at all, a good replacement is mixing ground allspice, ground cinnamon, ground mace, and ground nutmeg.
For binding and texture, use butter or margarine, but other fat can work. Use coconut oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil.
When it comes to flour, the easiest choice is all-purpose flour, but other types of flour will create similar results. Try using bread flour, cake flour, whole-wheat flour, or a gluten-free alternative you like. Some good alternatives are potato flour, cassava flour, and rice flour.
The rest of the seasoning in this bread is just as important as the ginger, so don’t skip the cinnamon and cloves. If you don’t have any, you can add nutmeg, ground cloves, vanilla extract or powder, and allspice.
All that is left to do is mix all ingredients, beat until soft and smooth, and bake. This gingerbread cake will be ready in about 40 minutes.
Enjoy this spicy and sweet treat any time you feel nostalgic. You can also bake this as a snack for the family or simply because you feel like having something different. This traditional gingerbread recipe is easy and turns out delicious every time.
1 cup (240 ml) hot water
1/2 cup (64 g) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup (64 g) granulated sugar
1 cup (128 g) dark molasses
3 1/2 cups (448 g) sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- To start, preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease and coat a 9 x 9-inch cake pan with flour.
- Combine and cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in molasses and egg. Mix well.
- Sift the flour, spices, salt, and baking soda together and stir into the wet mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Stir 1 cup of hot water into the mixture. Mix well until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared greased and floured pan.
- Bake the bread for about 35 to 40 min or until a toothpick inserted to the middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm, enjoy.