Use Little Effort To Make These Delicious Potato Croquettes
If you like improvising, but also having a tasty new meal, these pantry potato croquettes are the right call. Don’t worry about the time or going to the grocery store, as this recipe truly only uses those ingredients that you already have at home.
Here’s all you need for these potato croquettes:
Let’s begin by talking about the potatoes, as they are the central stars of the show. In this recipe, we suggest you use instant potato flakes, which aren’t hard to make at home if you have the time.
In a pinch, making mashed potatoes doesn’t take too long. If you have a pressure cooker, the whole process will take you a few minutes.
Now, let’s discuss the milk and egg! You can always use powdered milk or cream, but keep in mind the sugar and fat content. Half and half, or a milk alternative also works. We suggest you use something like coconut milk for a more neutral flavor.
As you may already know, the breadcrumbs are an essential part of the breading but can be replaced. You can use old bread to crumble, croutons, or Panko.
Another choice is to use potato chips for the breading portion. To use these, simply crush them up very small, or you can even grind them for a few seconds to get a thinner version. However, you will probably need to add more milk and eggs, as well as maybe a bit of flour for texture.
Finally, the filling for these croquettes is all about the seasoning. Instead of dehydrated onions, consider using chives or shallots. You can also mix powdered garlic and onion with black pepper and salt.
The Tabasco sauce is optional and suited only for those that like heat. Still, you can add some flavor with homemade aioli, horseradish, or honey mustard.
You’ll be done in a few minutes, and these pantry potato croquettes are fantastic appetizers for a party or dinner date. For other great recipes, check these out!
Pantry Potato Croquettes
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) water
4 cups (512 g) instant potato flakes
2 tbsp milk
1/4 cup (32 g) dehydrated onions
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 dashes of Tabasco sauce (optional)
1 1/2 cups (192 g) dry breadcrumbs
vegetable oil for frying
- Bring the water to a rapid boil in a saucepan over high heat. Add in the instant potato flakes.
- Stir in the milk, and dehydrated onions, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Tabasco. Stir well.
- Remove from the heat and form balls of mashed potatoes using an ice cream scoop. Set aside.
- Get a small bowl and beat the eggs.
- Get another small bowl and place the dry breadcrumbs.
- Dip the potato balls in the egg, then dredge them in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet to a depth of 2 in over medium-high heat. Once hot, fry the potato balls for 3 to 4 min, constantly flipping until the breadcrumbs become golden brown.
- Drain the potato balls. Serve warm.