If you like snacking, these easy graham crackers are perfect for you and everyone around you. Forget the old school idea that graham crackers are just for the kids, this recipe is good for any age!
These Easy Graham Crackers Are Perfect For Everyone!
Let’s talk about the main ingredients first
This recipe lists shortening, but you don’t have to use it if you don’t have any or don’t like it. You can instead use butter or margarine, but in a pinch, even vegetable oil works.
Another key ingredient is the sugar, which in this case is listed as light brown sugar, but you can use caster sugar, granulated sugar, or even honey. If you are trying to get a caramel flavor, use maple syrup.
As for the flour, this recipe uses whole wheat and all-purpose together, but you can use either one alone. If that isn’t an option, use almond flour, potato flour, or even wheat germ mixed with all-purpose flour.
The milk in this case binds everything together, but you can use powdered milk or condensed milk. Another good option is to use nut milk, such as almond or cashew.
A creamier choice would be coconut milk, which also adds a great flavor.
Now, let’s cover the rest of the items
You probably already know that in baking, baking powder and baking soda are both essential. So don’t skip them! But you can use cream of tartar, or another acid, like lemon juice if you don’t have baking powder.
The rest of the ingredients are added for seasoning. The cinnamon is a good addition for aroma and flavor, but if you don’t have it, use nutmeg, cardamom, or vanilla powder.
Finally, ground flaxseed, wheat germ, or honey, are great additions, but not strictly necessary.
You can now make homemade easy graham crackers whenever you want! If you feel like having a quick snack or giving your kids a treat, this is the right recipe for you.
Easy Graham Crackers
1/2 cup (64 g) vegetable shortening
3/4 cup (96 g) packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (192 g) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (64 g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
1/2 cup (64 g) ground flax seed or wheat germ, or 2 tbsp honey (optional)
- To start, preheat the oven to 350 F (176 C). Prepare two baking sheets and grease them.
- Get a medium-sized bowl. Combine and cream together the brown sugar and shortening using a spoon or spatula.
- Then add in the vanilla.
- Combine the whole wheat, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir into the cream mixture. Beat alternately with the milk.
- Stir in the flaxseed, wheat germ, or honey. Cover with lid and chill it until firm.
- You can now roll the dough to a 1/8 inch (0.30 cm) thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the rolled dough into 2-inch (5cm) rectangles for mini graham crackers, or you can cut into 4-inch (10 cm) rectangles for traditional size crackers.
- Arrange them on the prepared baking sheets. Place it 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 min, until crisp, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove crackers from the baking sheets and transfer them on wire racks.
- You can store the crackers in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.