Who hasn’t craved cheese breadsticks once in a while? Don’t spend time or money on ordering takeout and instead, make this delicious treat at home. You’ll be surprised and how easy the process is and how satisfying your final product can be.
Cheese Breadsticks Are The Snack You Need Every Day
How do I make these at home?
You will first need to gather your dry yeast and flour. While these two ingredients give you the best final product, you can still use self-raising flour and skip the yeast. Other flours work too, in case you have a gluten allergy or sensitivity.
The sugar is pretty straightforward, but you can use other types of sweeteners, like honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar. If you want to skip this part too, you can, but you may want to keep some honey nearby, just in case.
You may already know this, but the cheese here is key for the final product to work. This recipe gives you the choice to use Cheddar, mozzarella, or Parmesan. However, other types of cheese work, including Colby jack, Mexican mix, Italian mix, feta, or Asiago.
Whatever cheese you use, make sure you adjust the baking time, as some cheeses can toast or burn quickly.
Finally, this recipe suggests you use garlic powder, cinnamon, and sugar for seasoning, but you can change the seasoning to something of your liking. Good spices to use include allspice, cardamom, paprika, cumin, or black pepper.
As you can see, the ingredients are all common and you probably have all of them already. Now, remember that if you use self-raising flour, you won’t need to let the bread pre-rise before baking. Otherwise, don’t skip this step, as it is essential in creating a final texture that is soft and fluffy.
Enjoy these cheese breadsticks with some pasta, with a cheese dip, or as a side dish for pizza night.
Cheese BreadsticksCourse: Snacks
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) warm water 110 F (45 C)
1 tbsp active dry yeast
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
4 cups (512 g) all-purpose flour
melted butter, for baking sheet and bread sticks
garlic powder to taste
1/2 cup (64 g) shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese, and/or 1/4 cup (32 g) grated Parmesan cheese, or cinnamon and sugar
- To start, preheat your oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Get a large bowl and combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Mix well, and let it sit for 5 min.
- Stir in the salt and the flour, one cup at a time. Mix well using your hands to create a dough that pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Prepare a large bowl, grease, or spray with cooking spray. Place the dough in the bowl, and cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Place the covered dough in a warm place and allow to rise for 20 min or until doubled in size.
- Butter a baking sheet.
- Place the dough over a floured board or surface and knead for 2 to 5 min.
- Roll the dough to 1/4 in (6 mm) thickness, then cut into 1-2 inch (3-5 cm) wide slices, and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the rolled dough with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic powder. You can also sprinkle it with cheddar, Parmesan, mozzarella cheese, or cinnamon or sugar.
- Cover the dough for another 20 min and allow the bread sticks to rise.
- Bake the breadsticks for 15 min. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.