Caramel popcorn with peanuts is just about the perfect sweet and savory snack that you need in your life. It is easy to make and you can enjoy it for days to come.
If You Crave Something Sweet, This Caramel Popcorn With Peanuts Is For You
Time to get popping!
The star of the show in this case is the popped corn, which is usually a staple in most houses. Yet, if you only happen to have microwaveable popcorn, you can use it too. If you are trying to use leftover grains, consider making this recipe with sorghum or amaranth.
Create the caramel using brown sugar, or you can use other sweeteners that you already have at home. Some great ideas include granulated sugar, molasses, or maple syrup. Just make sure you adjust the quantities and baking time appropriately.
Using corn syrup, bind things together and prevent crystallization, but you can use honey or syrup instead. Just make sure to mix and stir more often.
Butter is used here to bind everything together for the caramel coating, but you can skip it if you don’t have any. Other great options are vegetable oil or margarine. Even olive oil works if that’s all you have, but the flavor may be a bit more bitter.
While the peanuts are optional, they do add a good crunch and some protein. You can use any other nuts you have handy, like almonds, walnuts, or pecans. If you prefer, you can also use seeds, like sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
As for the seasoning, that’s where the personal taste comes through. This dish uses salt and vanilla extract. Other great options are almond extract, vanilla powder, cloves, or cinnamon.
You are now ready to bake your homemade caramel popcorn for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, though the time may vary. Be sure to let it cool down properly before eating it or storing it.
What other great treat gives you both sweet and salty, and is also relatively high in protein? Enjoy this caramel popcorn with peanuts any time of the day!
Caramel Popcorn with PeanutsCourse: Snacks
4 quarts popped corn
1/2 cup (64 g) butter
1 cup (128 g) packed light brown sugar
1 cup ( 128 g) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (60 ml) light corn syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (128 g) peanuts (optional)
- To start, preheat the oven to 250 F (120 C), and place the cooked pop corn inside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
- Bring the mixture into a boil while continuously stirring. Boil the mixture for 4 min without stirring.
- Remove the mixture from heat, and add the baking soda, salt, vanilla, and nuts.
- Prepare a shallow baking sheet and pour over the popcorn and the sauce mixture and toss.
- Bake the popcorn for 1 hr and 15 min. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.